Dr. S.K. Varma
Dr. Varma is a medical doctor who deals with surgical treatment of diseases / illnesses of the organs in the chest (heart, lungs & major blood vessels). Dr. Varma is a senior consultant Cardio Thoracic Surgeon who practices at Coimbatore (Tamilnadu), and Kumaramputhur (Palakkad, Kerala) in India.
Dr. Varma, a Cardio thoracic Surgeon, is a specialist in the treatment of diseases of organs in the chest (thorax), namely the heart, lungs, major blood vessels and the spaces in between them – the mediastinum. These diseases in many cases would need surgical intervention and this is the cardio thoracic surgeons forte. Cardiac surgery (surgery involving the heart) vascular surgery (surgery involving the major blood vessels) and general thoracic surgery (involving the lungs & mediastinum) are sub specialties within the broader realm of cardio thoracic surgery.
Dr. Varma aquired his basic medical degree (MBBS), postgraduate training in General Surgery (MS) and specialty training in Cardio thoracic Surgery training (MCh) at the Christian Medical College, Vellore, India. He then went on to obtain the Diplomate of the National Board (in Cardio thoracic Surgery) from the National Board of Examinations, New Delhi, India, and the Fellowship of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh.
Dr. Varma then enhanced his surgical skills further with stints in various cardio thoracic surgical centres in Australia and England before returning to India. He has established a cardio thoracic surgical practice at Coimbatore and his team performs 400 – 450 major surgical procedures every year including:
- Coronary Bypass Graft Surgery (“off pump” & “on pump”, BIMA pedicled, LIMA & RIMA Y, LIMA RIMA LRA total arterial revascularisation )
- Surgical correction of simple congenital heart defects (PDA, ASD, VSD, Coarctation of the Aorta)
- Surgical correction of complex congenital heart diseases (Tetralogy of Fallot, Tricuspid Atresia, AV Canal defects, TGA, and combined lesions)
- Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation (for acute reversible heart and lung failure) both V-V and V-A
- Surgery for Lung Diseases (Video Assisted Thoracic Surgery, Pneumonectomy, Lobectomy, Segmentectomy, Decortication etc)
- Surgery for Mediastinal Tumors
- Surgery for diseases of the great vessels (Aortic Aneurysms, Aorto Bifemoral Bypass, Femero Popliteal Bypass etc)
Dr. Varma has over 28+ years of post qualification experience in Cardio thoracic Surgery apart from the wealth of experience he accumulated during training. He has several publications in national and international journals, has been an invited speaker at many scientific forums, has chaired scientific sessions, has delivered oration lectures, and participated in professional meetings related to his field. He was incharge of the annual CME for trainees in Cardiothoracic Surgery at GKNM Hospital, Coimbatore. He also was a faculty for the training program in Cardio thoracic Surgery at K.G. Hospital, Coimbatore (3 year post MS and 6 year post MBBS direct DNB CTVS training) from where several of his trainees have successfully completed training in Cardiothoracic Surgery and have cleared the final DNB examination. He has also been an examiner and question paper setter for the Tamilnadu Dr MGR Medical University, Chennai